BlockNote: Open Source block-based (notion style) editor on top of Prosemirror

Hi there!

I’m excited to share BlockNote, a block-based editor on top of Prosemirror / Tiptap: GitHub - YousefED/BlockNote: A "Notion-style" block-based extensible text editor built on top of Prosemirror and Tiptap.. Or try the live demo here.

Some features:

Animations:

animations

Menus:

slashmenu

… and plenty more (drag 'n drop, collaboration, placeholders, etc.).

It’s not “feature-complete” yet in terms of blocks, but I think people have been struggling with building a block-based editor on top of Prosemirror (I know I have), and hope this project can be helpful!

Where Prosemirror really offers raw building-blocks, BlockNote is more opinionated and comes with a UI out-of-the-box, so I hope it will be easier to integrate into your project if you don’t have the time / resources to start a PM editor from scratch.

Feedback welcome!

3 Likes

Nice! I like the minimalist look and interface. /-commands for keyboard-based styling work well.

Thanks Marijn! I also took extra care to follow your suggestion in this topic; to keep everything in one PM instance instead of having every block wrapped in a separate instance.

1 Like

Hey @YousefED - great blockeditor. However trying it out to integrate, we noticed that it is not really extendable beyond its current capabilities which are limited (example: table inserts). Did you build further extensions or have any plans to change it so it is really extendable. Here is another query of the same thing