Copy NodeSelected nodes

I have the node structured as below,

<blockquote>
   <el1>el1 content</el1>
   <el2>el2 content</el2>
</blockquote>

After i triple clicked the node, the whole node is selected and the current selection is a node selection. Then when i press ctrl-c to copy the node, i found that sometimes the node can be copied but sometimes it is not. When i drill into the function in prosemirror-view, i found that sometime when i press ctrl-c, it doesn’t trigger the event handler below and the result is the node is not copied:

handlers.copy = editHandlers.cut = function (view, e) {
  console.log('handle copy')
  var sel = view.state.selection, cut = e.type == "cut";
  if (sel.empty) { return }

// IE and Edge's clipboard interface is completely broken
  var data = brokenClipboardAPI ? null : e.clipboardData;
  var slice = sel.content();
  var ref = serializeForClipboard(view, slice);
  var dom = ref.dom;
  var text = ref.text;
  if (data) {
    e.preventDefault();
    data.clearData();
    data.setData("text/html", dom.innerHTML);
    data.setData("text/plain", text);
  } else {
    captureCopy(view, dom);
  }
  if (cut) { view.dispatch(view.state.tr.deleteSelection().scrollIntoView().setMeta("uiEvent", "cut")); }
};

Does anyone have any idea on what could be the possible reason for this? Any help would be great, thanks. Below is my schema:

blockquote: {
  group: 'block',
  content: 'el1 el2',
  selectable: true,
  draggable: false,
  parseDOM: [
    {
      tag: 'blockquote'
    }
  ],
  toDOM() {
    return ['blockquote', 0]
  }
},
el1: {
   content: 'text*',
   defining: true,
     {
       tag: 'div[node-type="el1"]'
     }
   ],
   toDOM() {
     return ['div', { 'node-type': 'el1' }, 0]
   }
}
el2: {
    content: 'text*',
    defining: true,
      {
        tag: 'div[node-type="el2"]'
      }
    ],
    toDOM() {
      return ['div', { 'node-type': 'el2' }, 0]
    }
  }

It’s possible that your browser decides that the selection is not a ‘real selection’ and therefore doesn’t start a copy event when you press ctrl-c. Can you set up a minimal demo of the problem (and tell me which browser this happens on)? When a node selection is active, ProseMirror creates a selection across the selected node, but browsers can be weird about selections that start/end in block context, so maybe it’s being normalized to an empty selection somehow.

@marjin Thanks for the reply, when i try to set up a demo to replicate the problem, i found that the problem doesn’t occur in my demo, so i dig into it further. Finally i found that, when i have only 1 blockquote, i can copy without problem but if there is consecutive blockquotes like this:

<blockquote></blockquote>

starting from the second blockquote, i cannot copy. If i insert a paragraph to between 2 blockquotes like this:

<p></p>

both blockquotes can be copied.

The cause to the copy failure seems to be due to my blockquote nodeview structure. I have the following structure for my nodeview dom:

<div>
   <div contenteditable="false">something</div>
   <blockquote>This is content dom</blockquote>
   <div contenteditable="false">something</div>
</div>

When i remove the contenteditable="false" on the divs, the copy works well. So the contenteditable should be the cause.

But I do not quite understand why it would works when i have one separate blockquote, but it won’t works when i have consecutive blockquotes.

I am using the chrome version 69

This is the mini demo that i tried on with my schema on it

Ah, I think that this hack, which works around the issue of some browsers not allowing selection endpoints between non-editable nodes, fails to work in this case, since the non-editable nodes aren’t actually the direct siblings of the selection position, but rather descendants of those siblings.

I think, for now, the easiest way to solve this would be to use CSS :before and :after pseudo elements for whatever markers you’re adding before and after the blockquotes. If that’s not an option, maybe try some other DOM structures.

Hi,

We encountered this issue while building a nested node structure, where most nodes have nodeviews.

Has there been any progress on this issue? Any new suggestion?

Anyone has some update on how to solve this issue?