How to programmatically replace highlighted selection?

I tried using tr.setSelection(new TextSelection($start, $end)) and while it’s setting the selection in the editor, the actual highlighted text isn’t changing.

Is it possible to programmatically replace the selected text / node? Or will I have to use decorations or some other trick to highlight the text?

tr.setSelection should work. Did you also dispatch the resulting transaction?

Yes the tr is dispatched. To be clear, a tooltip pops up on selection. I see the tooltip move but the highlight text stays the same.

ezgif-4-9fd8dbb191c0

Sample code I’ve tried:

const $start = state.tr.doc.resolve($anchor.start())
    const $end = state.tr.doc.resolve($anchor.end())

dispatch(
      state.tr.setSelection(new TextSelection($start, $end))
    )

That’s definitely odd. Where does the tooltip get its position? What does the DOM selection (as in getSelection()) look like after this happens?

the value from window.getSelection() shows the same values before n after but the selection via view.state.selection is updating itself correctly.

the code that gives the tooltip its position is largely taken from the example on the site

get position () {
    const { view } = this.props
    if (view.state.selection.empty) return null
    const { from, to } = view.state.selection
    const start = view.coordsAtPos(from)
    const end = view.coordsAtPos(to)
    const box = (view as any).dom.offsetParent.getBoundingClientRect()
    const avgLeft = Math.max((start.left + end.left) / 2, start.left + 3)
    return { 
      left: avgLeft - box.left,
      bottom: box.bottom - start.top
    }
  }

Could this be a bug? Or do you think I’m handling something incorrectly in my code?

Possibly (though this is well-exercised code, in general, and there’d have to be some corner case involved). Can you isolate it in a simple, vanilla editor setup?

Implementation details changed a bit, but still will likely need this functionality at some point. So I’ll make sure to open up an issue later if problem persists.

Thanks for following up