So I’m a user of
roam-research, and being a developer myself, I thought, I can build that.
After about 3 weeks of part-time work, I’ve built a heavily-customized, list-focusing, tags-networked editor using prose-mirror, which is open and self-hosted.
Till now, in addition to the back-end and realtime socket related work, I’ve
- written a schema from scratch to only allow specific elements, also gave them additional attrs
- implemented a plugin to dynamically generate id for every new list_item
- thanks to this post in this forum
- integrated and modified the mentioning plugin for tags inputting
- hacked some prose-mirror native commands
There’s still lots of work to do around the editor
- the keymaps and commands around list lifting/sinking are not ideal
- removing a list item is buggy
- interaction between the title and the top-level bullet_list is buggy
- markdown syntax to support
- collapsible list item
I’m also writing dev diary posts about the details behind this, I’d love to hear your feedback and questions.
In the course of developing, I’ve got a lot of help from this forum, I’d love to help others and answer questions about the detail. Thanks!