Prevent focus when clicking on a button

In order to avoid focus on the editor I noticed it to be sufficient to define

mousedown: (_, ev) => {
  console.log("Mouse down")
  console.log("Prevent default...");
  ev.preventDefault();
},

in handleDOMEvents on the EditorView. Indeed, whenever I press on some random text in my editor it doesn’t focus, great! However, now I have an element that defines the toDom function as

[
  'button',
  {
    contenteditable: false,
  },
];

I now adapt the mousedown function to only prevent the default when the target has contenteditable set to false (just like the button above). Something like:

mousedown: (_, ev) => {
  console.log("Mouse down");
  const canEdit = ev.target.contentEditable;
  if (canEdit === "false") {
    console.log("Prevent default...");
    ev.preventDefault();
  }
}

I now do the following:

1. Press somewhere on ‘regular’ text inside the editor - say location A -, we get focus (as expected)
  2. Press outside the editor, to remove the focus
  3. Now I press the button
  4. It focusses on location A. Why?!

Point 4 is what I want to avoid. I tried implementing all reasonable handleDOMEvents, but none which avoided focus on button press. What am I missing?

I just created a sandbox, to find out that it is working as expected. I will have to dig into what is happening in the ‘real life’ application.

Make sure you don’t put your editor instance in your Vue state. That messes everything up in hard-to-debug ways.

For those running into the same focus difficulty (in particular on mobile usage), I have been able to simply fix it by specifying the button as follows:

[
  'button',
  {
    contenteditable: false,
    onMouseDown: 'event.preventDefault()',
  },
];

The fix was much easier than I thought.