ProseMirror for live-editing webpages

Congratulations on ProseMirror. It works well. I haven’t been able to break it except when it is clearly my fault.

I think ProseMirror has the ability to revolutionize the web. I’ve got some ideas, but I’m always thinking of new ones. I’d love to be able to live-edit my webpage for instance. There’ll be an “edit” button in the top right hand side (which only appears when it recognizes my IP - of course I will have to log in when I click on it too). I click it, and the webpage is literally exactly the same as it was before, except now it has a blinking cursor. I click “Save” and the change is immediately pushed to the server.

The reason that the document looks exactly the same before and after I push “edit” it is because the webpage itself is a ProseMirror document. In all cases it is served as a ProseMirror View. It’s just that when I push “edit”, I get an editable View.

I think that would be a cool idea. I would use it - it would make it so much more convenient to maintain my webpage, rather than having to open up a terminal, fire up Jekyll (or some other webpage builder), build something, push it to a repository, and all that jazz.

Since ProseMirror doesn’t edit arbitrary HTML, it seems like a system like this would be better off with an editor like TinyMCE. Though I guess if your documents are structured in some predictable way, you could also do it with ProseMirror.

I didn’t know about TinyMCE. Thanks for pointing it out. I’ve had a look. You’re right - it would probably fit my case above better, although getting that to work in practice would be tough for me since I’d have to get the server and the client to speak to each other.

If I understand correctly, the main difference between ProseMirror and TinyMCE is that TinyMCE doesn’t have an internal document model (or if it does, we don’t have access to it). It simply “edits the HTML in place”.

This makes ProseMirror more adaptable and powerful.

1 Like