Simulate Keypress Event

I am creating Integration Tests for ProseMirror and I would like to simulate typing to confirm a few things. Here is an example of my Mocha code:

it('Plugin can Handle Simulated Event', () => {
  let value = false
  const test = new Plugin({
    props: {
      handleDOMEvents: {
        keydown (view, event) {
          value = true
          console.log(view, event)
        }
      }

}

})
  tempEditor({ plugins: [test] })
  const editor = $('.ProseMirror')
  editor.focus()

// Issue is Here
  editor.keydown( function(e) { console.log(e)})
  const e = $.Event('keydown')
  e.which = 66 // B 
  editor.trigger(e)

value.should.equal(true)
})

When I run this code, the editor is focused but the editor doesn’t seem to recognize the keydown event and the test fails as the keydown event is never handled by the plugin. I know the event fires because the event is printed by the jquery listener.

I’m not familiar enough with jQuery to see what might be going on here, but it’s possible that some aspect of the simulated event causes ProseMirror to ignore it (see for example eventBelongsToView in the view code).

It seems JQuery wasn’t supported in my test environment for some reason. So I switched to vanilla events and it worked! I am now having another issue with actually adding text through the keypress event. image

The code I wrote is this:

it('Text can be inserted by Event', () => {
  const view = tempEditor({ handleKeyDown: (_view, event) => console.log(event) })
  const editor = document.querySelector('.ProseMirror')

const event = new KeyboardEvent('keydown', { keyCode: 66, bubbles: false })
  editor.dispatchEvent(event)
  view.state.doc.firstChild.textContent.should.equal('B')
})

The keypress event isn’t handled and won’t insert text. ProseMirror looks for actual text input into its editable element, which you can’t simulate by firing events.

Can I simulate some special keys like Enter, Backspace, and Delete keypress event by firing events? Based on what I saw here, seems like the answer would be “no”, but I just want to make sure.

You can do this:

const event = new KeyboardEvent('keydown', {
  key: 'Enter',
})

view.someProp('handleKeyDown', f => f(view, event))

But keep in mind that this will only work for shortcuts registered by ProseMirror. This doesn’t work for arrow keys (handled by the browser) for example. But in your case Enter , Backspace , and Delete should work.

@philippkuehn Thanks for your reply. I’m trying to use Jest (JSDOM) to test some keypress events, and your method does work for a registered shortcut. But if the cursor is empty and surrounded by some plain text, the Backspace key won’t trigger any shortcut, so I can’t test this case.

it('can handle Backspace', () => {
    const event = new KeyboardEvent('keydown', {key: 'Backspace'})

// select CD 
    editor.add(
      doc(h1('title'), bulletList(listItem(p('AB<start>CD<end>'))), p()), //
    )

// press Backspace should delete CD (this works 😊)
    editor.view.someProp('handleKeyDown', (f) => f(editor.view, event))
    expect(editor.doc).toEqualProsemirrorNode(
      doc(h1('title'), bulletList(listItem(p('AB'))), p()),
    )

// press Backspace should delete B (this doesn't work 😢)
    editor.view.someProp('handleKeyDown', (f) => f(editor.view, event))
    expect(editor.doc).toEqualProsemirrorNode(
      doc(h1('title'), bulletList(listItem(p('A'))), p()),
    )
  })

Maybe using Cypress/Playwright is a doable solution for my case.

Yes it will fail in these cases where no ProseMirror commands hook in. We are using Cypress (with the plan to switch to Playwright) which works great :+1:

Hey! I’m also trying to simulate typing. My use case is I have plain text streaming from an external API and I want to have formatting rules apply (e.g. -- should turn into an em dash, 1. should turn into a numbered list, etc.)

I tried inserting one character at a time using TipTap’s insertContent function, but it doesn’t trigger input rules. So then I tried simulating a keypress event, but view.dom.dispatchEvent(event) doesn’t work at all, and view.someProp('handleKeyDown', f => f(e.view, event) only works if event.key == 'Enter'.

Any tips on how I should approach this? Thanks!

dispatchEvent does not cause an event’s native behavior to happen, it just allows event handlers to react to it. A solution for this would have to manually first fire the keyboard event (to allow keymaps to handle it), if that isn’t prevent-defaulted use someProp to run potential input handler, and then if none handle it use replaceSelection to actually insert the text, I guess.

Thank you!