Slack channel for more unformal discussion a la Slate?

Hi, I recently came across this very intriguing project after spending some time fiddling with Slate.

I had been trying to implement my rich text-editor in Slate since it seemed the most simple way to do it (and I’m really familiar with React). Sadly though I faced some quite tricky issues and while they are perhaps fixable, I really felt what I was trying wasn’t really supported by Slate (mainly customizing text-elements heavily) so I decided to give Prosemirror a go.

I think the lower-level API Prosemirror offers might just be what I need. The problem though is, that I have a lot of silly questions that I feel do not deserve threads of their own in this forum. For example, some of the code I copy-pasted from prosemirror source code failed TypeScript’s type checks (something something about undefined/null values) and I wondered what’s up with that. Also I’m not sure what’s the simplest way of adding word-level decorations, why hitting enter doesn’t create a new node properly and so on - a lot of silly questions.

What I think is really good about Slate, is its own Slack channel where I feel there’s some sense of community and direct interaction that I find really helpful. Perhaps at times some of the “lore” spilled in the channel should be made directly searchable by eg Google as threads like here, but I guess reiterating same things with a slightly different twist are like little pop-quizzes, hence making people learn much better and widening the guru-pool of the community. (Perhaps there could a way of exporting worthy threads from Slack to here?)

Anyway, I’d really prefer a Slack channel for this fantastic project. There’s a lot to take in with a difficult domain like this and I wouldn’t want to spam this place with really mundane questions (that might get answered with a long delay).

Have you seen the gitter channel? I’m not really a fan of chat channels though, and there’s not a very active crowd in there, so generally asking here will give you a quicker/more robust answer (with the added advantage that the conversation will be searchable for future people with the same issue).

1 Like

In general I’ve found Gitter to have quite poor engagement. Oh well. The conversations are searchable in Slack too to 10 000 posts per free-tier workspace. I still think that it would be a nice addition to lower the bar for asking questions. By just making it feel more unformal. But I’ll see when I have time to work on my project to know what to ask. Thanks anyway.

I share this thread here: Posthog is closing their Slack community in favor of forum | Hacker News

I find asynchronous forums, like for example, this one based on Discourse much more efficient than Slack, Discord channels…

I’m convinced that chat software should be reserved for very small, private communities that exchange information at high intensity.

Thank you to the ProseMirror team for choosing Discourse as your exchange platform :heart:.

Best regards,
Stéphane

1 Like

While not really what you’re asking for, TipTap does have a Discord channel and you might glean some info there - but it’s not always obvious how things translate between ProseMirror-proper and the APIs TipTap exposes.

+1 for async discussions