Contenteditable on Android is the Absolute Worst

Contenteditable is bad, but contenteditable combined with Android is even worse. Just for context, Slate (another rich text editing library) had to make a GoFundMe (Add Android Support for the Slate WYSIWYG Editor by Sunny Hirai — Kickstarter ) so a few engineers could dedicate their time to getting something plausible. Because of how bad it is, I thought I would try to document the various issues, post some of our workarounds, and list what tools we have at our disposal.

We rebuilt our entire editor from the ground up using ProseMirror. Our old app struggled with Android but with ProseMirror’s design, we were able to make giant improvements in our mobile editor. That being said, with better features comes more risk for terrible browser and OS bugs. Below are a few issues we’ve had to deal with. Some of the issues are bugs specific to ProseMirror but I would put no fault in ProseMirror itself. ProseMirror has some very effective workarounds internally but this is a game of whac-a-mole.

ProseMirror has been so good in fact that using plugins, we’ve been able to effectively build our own hacks workarounds to help solve many of these issues. We have an android input plugin that is about 450 lines long and a separate input plugin that tracks much of the input state (composing, deleting content, finishing a composition, focus, etc.).

How Android Input Works and Available Tools

Compositions and IMEs

Android primarily uses composition based input for almost everything (dom events - What is JavaScript's CompositionEvent? Please give examples - Stack Overflow). It fires similar events to typing in Japanese/Korean/Chinese on desktop and it is why you see the little underline when you are typing a word.

That little underline means that the text is currently being composed and the whole word may change as you type. These systems are called IMEs (input method editors) and the Android IME is especially annoying when combined with contenteditable. The one exception for Android is that when you use a bluetooth keyboard, the events are essentially the same as typing on desktop.

Our understanding based on digging into Android apps and staring at tons of logs is that the Android IME views the contenteditable block as one long plain text string. This is troubling when you have lots of HTML that you are editing as the IME may view your content very differently than how the user perceives it.

ProseMirror has a lot of functionality to handle compositions/IMEs and has to walk a fine line between control and not interfering with native behavior. For one, it has to protect composition text nodes while at the same time being willing to sync new changes from state updates. Even standard React controlled inputs struggle with this balance (see Change event fires extra times before IME composition ends · Issue #3926 · facebook/react · GitHub) and plain text inputs are a couple of orders of magnitude less complicated than a rich text editing input.

ProseMirror uses composition event handlers internally to help with composition issues (CompositionEvent - Web APIs | MDN) and the various event types correspond to a composition lifecycle (compositionstart, compositionupdate, compositionend).

Another important set of tool are input events (InputEvent - Web APIs | MDN). Their life cycle is typically

1. A beforeinput event fires with a specific inputType
  2. The browser mutates the dom
  3. An input event fires with a specific inputType

These events are fired constantly for all sorts of various inputs and provide hints as to what the input is trying to do using the “inputType” field (and there are a lot of inputTypes Input Events Level 2). We use input events all of the time to help workaround bugs as they provide crucial hints as to what the browser is trying to do.

If you are interested in learning more about all of the events that fire when typing, I suggest checking out this site Keyboard Event Viewer on various devices and seeing how varied the events are.

Multiple Keyboards and Ways of Typing

One important note is that Android has many types of keyboards with the most popular being GBoard. However, Samsung and LG both have their own keyboards that are used by default and then there are additional third party keyboards that are commonly used (like Swift keyboard). On top of that, there are also different ways of “typing” as you can use swipe typing, voice typing, etc… These keyboards have their own unique quirks and bugs and unless you get native help via a mobile app, you can’t tell which type of keyboard is active.

A few examples

• LG keyboard often struggles with undo/redo mutations during a composition
  • Samsung tends to actually include Backspace keys for keyboard events
  • Gboard fires additional selection changes (maybe due to the composition text node swap in Issue number 3

And many more

Cursor Parking

This is a tool we use internally to help try to force the browser and IME to reset their internal state. I posted about it here https://discuss.ProseMirror.net/t/cursor-parking-a-tool-to-help-handle-native-browser-issues/2107 but the short version is that we move the selection (and sometimes focus) out of the ProseMirror into a temporary input, let the browser trash that input as they see fit, then move the selection back. It’s analogous to unplugging a wifi router and plugging it back in when you have issues (except without the downtime).

Issues

Issue 1: Lack of keydown keys

This is one of the biggest and most annoying issues that we’ve ever had to deal with. The crux of the issue is that Android normally does not tell you which key is pressed on keypress events (keydown, keyup, etc.). This is what a typical keyboard event on Android looks like (notice the key and keyCode fields)

This means that most of your custom bindings will not work most of the time. This is especially annoying when you have custom backspace handling (like selecting a node first before deleting on backspace).

Unidentified Keys (2)

ProseMirror has some workarounds internally to help with this by detect the changes in the mutation and looking to see if the mutation looks like a backspace or enter, but it doesn’t work 100% of the time.

We can mostly detect if a backspace/delete is happening using a beforeinput event and looking for an inputType of either deleteContentBackward or deleteContentForward. We then fire a synthetic keydown that is either a Backspace or a Delete key (respectively) and use someProp(‘handleKeyDown’). If the event is “handled” (if a handleKeyDown prop function returns true), then things get interesting.

According to the spec on beforeinput events, beforeinput is supposed to be cancelable for most inputTypes (see Input Events Level 2). Unfortunately, browsers often don’t care enough about the spec so we have to prevent the default behavior using a combination of cursor parking and suppressing selection updates. Here is a terrible function we use that hacks some internal ProseMirror goodies to help prevent this default handling.

const suppressSelectionUpdatesAndTextInsertions = (view: EditorView): void => {
  (view as any).suppressTextInsertions = true;
  // ProseMirror checks this flag internally and then reverts selections if a selection change fires while this is active
  (view as any).domObserver.suppressingSelectionUpdates = true;
  setTimeout(() => {
    (view as any).suppressTextInsertions = false;
    (view as any).domObserver.suppressingSelectionUpdates = false;
  }, 50);
};

Issue 2: The cursor wrapper

The cursor wrapper has a few uses but one of the primary use cases is to take stored marks and make sure composition text is styled correctly. ProseMirror internally calls this use case “mark cursor.” The clearest example is you go to an empty line, you enable bold, and you start typing. The composition text should be bold.

CursorWrapperUseCase

This works because ProseMirror inserts a cursor wrapper decoration into the dom in the form an image element with no src and then selects that image element when the composition starts. The browser then overwrites that image element and keeps the styles. However, this mark cursor can cause a few problems with the Android IME.

One is that if it’s removed at just the right time, then the selection may end up jumping a single character. Another issue is when you split inclusive marks. The mark cursor decoration is added to the middle and when issue 3 occurs (see that in the next section), Android loses track of where to re-insert the composition text. Update: This is actually a general Android contenteditable issue, it isn’t specific to ProseMirror and the cursor wrapper

MarkCursorFailCase

One last issue is that if you are tracking input states yourself in plugin state, you can unintentionally remove the cursor wrapper at the wrong time. We have input state that tracks if a composition is happening, if a composition is finishing, if content is being deleted, and a few other details. Dispatching these meta transactions in their associated event handlers can cause the cursorWrapper to be unset at the exact wrong time which will then wreak havoc in the editor. We got around this by overwriting the view getter for the cursor wrapper and checking for meta only transaction. If the transaction was only a meta transaction, then we would lock the cursor wrapper for the next state update.

const setupCursorWrapperProxy = (view: EditorView) => {
    // We need to lock the cursor wrapper sometimes in case we trigger meta only updates. Otherwise, we get tons of input issues
    let privateCursorWrapper: any = null;
    Object.defineProperty(view, 'cursorWrapper', {
        get() {
            return privateCursorWrapper;
        },
        set(v) {
            // Don't allow the cursor wrapper to be unset while locked. Setting new cursor wrappers is fair game, but not unsetting them
            if (this.cursorWrapperLocked && !v) return;
            privateCursorWrapper = v;
        }
    });
};

const isMetaOnlyTransaction = (tr: Transaction) => {
    return Boolean(!tr.isGeneric && !tr.docChanged && !tr.selectionSet && !tr.storedMarksSet);
};

dispatchTransaction: tr => {
    view.cursorWrapperLocked = isMetaOnlyTransaction(tr);
    view.updateState(view.state.apply(tr));
},

Issue 3: The composition text node swap

When performing custom mutations (like a custom enter handling when splitting a paragraph), Android has this really strange behavior where it seems to want to swap out text notes with a composition text node. If you put your cursor next to some text and hit enter, Android seems do the following after the enter handling is complete (mostly synchronously)

1. Select the word the cursor ended up next to
  2. Delete the word (beforeinput and input fire with an inputType of deleteContentBackward)
  3. Fire a phantom keydown for seemingly no reason
  4. Start a composition
  5. Re-insert the the word deleted at step 2 via an input event with an input type of insertCompositionText

I think some ProseMirror internals may have problems with this text node swap because selectionchange events are asynchronous so at step 1, ProseMirror’s selection internally is out of date with what the native selection. My theory is that that issue caused the problem where Android seems to “lie” about where the selection is, which can cause this issue inside of ProseMirror.

CursorHop

Right now, we don’t have a great workaround for this and I think the cursor jumping would need to be fixed inside of ProseMirror by syncing the selection during the deleteContentBackward beforeinput event. Then, we may want to hold off on flushing the mutations until Android finished everything.

Issue 4: Android Chrome is afraid of unselectable atoms

Let’s say you have a node that is an atom and there is nothing selectable inside of that node. What Android often does is that when you backspace onto that node, Android will just give up and dismiss the keyboard. This is quite annoying when you are trying to delete content and you come across one of these unselectable atoms. Also for some nodes (especially inline nodes), the cursor will just jump right over the node and keep deleting text (which seems is most likely due to how the IME views the document). Finally, the Android IME will often get confused when you have a NodeSelection and will then start a composition with nearby text. If you type while in this NodeSelection, sometimes weird mutations will occur and text nearby will get randomly updated.

To help “trick” Android and the IME that there is selectable content inside of a Node, we have occasionally added this selection helper element in React (as most of our NodeViews are using a React binding)

export default function SelectionHelper(props: JSX.IntrinsicElements['img'] & { inline?: boolean }) {
    const { inline = false, ...rest } = props;
    return React.createElement(inline ? 'span' : 'img', {
        ...rest,
        style: {
            position: inline ? 'static' : 'absolute',
            display: inline ? 'inline' : 'block',
            margin: '0 auto',
            height: 0,
            width: 0,
            userSelect: 'all',
            msUserSelect: 'text',
            WebkitUserSelect: 'all',
            MozUserSelect: 'all',
            overflow: 'hidden',
            ...props?.style
        }
    });
}

We have also used some CSS class trickery to force user-select: all on unselectable items when your cursor is getting close to unselectable atoms. We also occasionally try to manually delete some content on deleteContentBackward input events (see issue #1) for inline nodes using backspace handlers.

For the NodeSelection issue, we have gotten around this using cursor parking.

Issue 5: Input bugs are unique across different webview versions, keyboards, keyboard versions, types of devices, and OS versions.

We are lucky to have a large enough QA team with a medley of different device combinations but even with that, there are still some nasty and stupid bugs that come up that are specific to a combination of certain webview versions on specific devices with specific keyboards. We are actually using our native app to tell our editor which keyboard types (e.g. Gboard, Samsung, LG, etc.) are enabled at any given time so we can have workarounds for specific keyboards if absolutely necessary. Many of our fixes in these scenarios end up using cursor parking but this is still an area where we are all bound to have blind spots.

Where to go next?

Honestly unless there are serious efforts on the Chrome front to improve contenteditable on Chrome Android and how the IME views contenteditable, there isn’t much we can do fundamentally that ProseMirror isn’t already doing. Even if we fix some of the bugs listed in this post and added some more nuance to ProseMirror’s mutation handling, I think there will continue to be issues. I’m sure there are a few additional fixes that could be made but issues like the mark cursor seem to be unfixable without breaking the mark cursor feature at least some of the time.

The best approach may be to just have less functionality on mobile, especially around key handling and advanced node views, but I’d love to hear what others think and if anyone has unique ideas to handle the myriad of issues here.

Resources

10 Likes

@marijn If I misrepresented anything or if you disagree with anything I said here, please let me know. My hope is just to start compiling Android badness so developers can workaround issues, use patterns that work well with Android, and help gather information to fix bugs.

Thanks for the detailed write-up. If you have any hack that you think would make sense as part of the core library, feel free to propose a pull request. I didn’t see any obvious inaccuracies in your description. beforeinput events weren’t really supported yet at the time of the initial implementation of ProseMirror — it is possible that we could be leaning more onto that (but as you mentioned, it’s not ideal).

It should also be noted that Mobile Safari on iOS isn’t much better here. It doesn’t use composition for most languages, so many users don’t run into the bizarre things it does during composition, but Chinese or Japanese users run into about as many bugs on that platform as on Chrome Android.

2 Likes

Yea I was thinking of writing a sequel to this about iOS as it’s almost just as bad. However, the lack of keydown keys made Android take the cake for me.

The only proposals I would have for ProseMirror (and I can file tickets and potential PRs for this if you agree) are

• Not to remove the cursor wrapper if the state update is not changing the doc or selection. However, this problem may just be unique to us and we already have a workaround so maybe we can just ignore it.
  • The enter jumping bug that seems to be due to the text node swap (Issue #3)
  • Experiments with new mark cursor workarounds to prevent issues where inclusive marks get split

I think the most pressing issue is a generalized fix for issue #3 and I think it’s due to the selection being out of sync with ProseMirror on deleteContentBackward. I can follow up tomorrow on creating a bug for that and I may dig into prosemirror-view a bit more to understand it.

1 Like

I haven’t seen the cursor jumps due to cursor wrappers. If you can create a minimal (and reasonable) script that causes this effect I’ll gladly debug it.

There’s already some code to work around the weird text removal/insertion that Android does on enter-during-composition. If you have examples where it still goes wrong definitely do create an issue for those.

The issue where links fall apart when you insert a * or + seems to not be ProseMirror-related. It also happens on a plain contentEditable element.

I haven’t seen the cursor jumps due to cursor wrappers. If you can create a minimal (and reasonable) script that causes this effect I’ll gladly debug it.

Our enter handling sets stored marks when splitting a text block so in those cases, we have seen cursor jumps. I can try to create a minimal repro case.

There’s already some code to work around the weird text removal/insertion that Android does on enter-during-composition. If you have examples where it still goes wrong definitely do create an issue for those.

You can see the Prosemirror issue in the first gif in Issue number 3. I can file an issue for that

The issue where links fall apart when you insert a * or + seems to not be ProseMirror-related. It also happens on a plain contentEditable element.

That is really fascinating. I remember explicitly completely disabling the mark cursor and I didn’t see the problem. Maybe I got mixed up and I’ll look into it again. If it happens in plain contenteditable, then it sounds like we would need to add another browser hack on our end.

I filed an issue for the enter jump issue Cursor jumps to the right of a word after pressing enter on Android · Issue #1181 · ProseMirror/prosemirror · GitHub and I filed a ticket in our project for the contenteditable anchor split problem. I also updated the original post to say that it’s not ProseMirror issue itself, but a contenteditable problem. If we figure out a solution, I’ll post it here.

As for the character jump problem, I don’t have a minimal repro case yet and I may skip it for now since things are pretty hectic at work and I would need to create a Prosemirror implementation with custom enter handling.

2 Likes

I appreciate the time you put into documenting your work above :+1:

The current state of android content editable seems to be quite improved on the samsung keyboard (default) - the google G-Board though seems to have a garden variety of bugs, almost exactly as described above. Will be experimenting with some of your code snippets above to see if I can cover some issues for G-board in particular. Any tips on a pure web app for detecting whether to apply these types of patches? ( I see you mentioned native app being able to detect the keyboard)

@bZichett Wish I could help more but there didn’t seem to be any clear heuristic on figuring out which keyboard is active with just Javascript and the browser. We try to detect broken states as opposed to individual keyboards but it doesn’t always work.

It’s the worst ever.

I dont think this is as black and white as that. I have very few problems using English Samsung Keyboard on Android. Author of prosemirror did a really outstanding job with the contenteditable implementation, but there are so many permutations to cover to get this working as well as it does here on others.

GBoard is still pretty wrecked with Enter / Delete keypress under certain conditions. And I am presuming that other languages might be much more broken.

What language / keyboard are you using?

Just some gossip to add here: I’ve heard Google is working on improving CE on Android. Let’s hope they can fix a few things.

1 Like

If any of that ends up discussed in public places (tickets, blogs, whatever) I’d love a link, so that we can get ahead of whatever they are intending to do (which, as likely as not, will also break some existing hacks).

1 Like

I noticed things have changed in Android 12L (which is nearing general release). Here are some differences between 12 and 12L using the keyboard event viewer (using the Pixel 5 emulator). My very simple test was typing ab<space><return><delete><delete><delete>. On the 12L I’m not seeing any composition events (obviously this a very limited test).

Android 12 (API 31):

Android 12L (API 32):

Interesting! Seems they might be moving a lot closer to the way a hardware keyboard works, which would definitely avoid a number of problems for ProseMirror. I’ll try to find some time soon to see which hacks should be turned off for the new version (and figure out the best way to detect it).

@btjones @marijn Just to be clear, if you use an actual hardware keyboard, then Android behaves much more similarly to Chrome on desktop and compositions are not the default unless you are using a composition based language (Chinese, Japanese, etc.). You could try this on mobile by hooking up a bluetooth keyboard and looking at the keyboard event viewer. It’s only when you type with an onscreen keyboard where compositions and a lack of key events happen. If you were using the emulator with 12L, it’s possible that it pretended as if you were typing with a hardware keyboard and not an onscreen keyboard (considering 12L is for larger devices). That would mean that there is evidence that changes are coming yet.

Unfortunately on a real Pixel device running Android 12.1 (aka 12L) build SQ3A.220705.003 when I run the same test as I did above, I’m seeing composition events. @jessejorgenson you may have been right about the emulator doing something related to large devices or emulating an external keyboard. I’d be interested to see if anyone has tested 12.1 on an actual large screen android device.